Wednesday, November 25, 2009


Life with boys. It's never dull, that's for sure! I was on the phone with my mom last night who was telling me about her own little accident she had at work when I heard Chris yell (more like scream) from Grant and Mac's room to get off the phone that we were going to the emergency room. I ran to their room and found Reid's face covered in blood, I mean covered. Naturally Reid was a mess. Grant was freaking out. Mac was freaking out. It was pure chaos. I got a towel to wipe his face to figure out exactly what he had hit, but it didn't take long to see the gaping hole right smack dab in the middle of his forehead. We think he either tripped or was tripped but that's neither here nor there. We do know he hit the corner of a drawer on the chest of drawers. I got him calmed down enough to put him in the car and we headed to the ER. The whole way there Reid was crying saying, "I not go to hahpital, go back home." I prayed the whole way there that he didn't hit hard enough to cause any other damage than the gash, that we wouldn't have to wait long, and that if he needed anything more than liquid stitch we would have a doctor and staff who were capable of that. That may sound silly and trivial but it's in the middle of his forehead, and it was a pretty big cut. I also prayed that the ER doctor would work well with however Reid acted because, well, it's Reid - and stitches are not fun and not everyone works well with children. God is good! There was no one in the waiting room. They got us back for triage as soon as I signed him in then immediately took us back after he was registered. The doctor on call not only is a dad with young children with a very calming demeanor, he is a plastic surgeon. Reid was such a big boy! They did have to papoose him for everyone's safety, but Reid just let them do what they needed to do and didn't put up a fuss. He cried but I think it was more because he was scared than anything. The doctor put one stitch on the inside then used very thin stitches to minimize scarring on the outside. We go back Monday to get them out, then he will need steri-strips for about a week. After that it's Vitamin E. He was so good the nurse searched the hospital for a green popsicle (at Reid's request), and he was good to go. He ate the whole popsicle on the way home and couldn't wait to get in the door to show daddy and his big brothers his boo-boo. As you can tell from these pictures, he is quite proud of it.

I'm sure it's the first of many, but I don't think I'll ever get used to raising boys!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Something tells me that won't be your last trip to the ER...bless him! Hope he's on the mend soon!!