CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 13, 2010

THOUGHTS AT 4 A.M.

I am the wife of a hunter. I actually like to call myself a hunter but I guess that's not entirely true because no deer is worth getting up at 3:30 for. My sleep is precious. How many times do I have to say it? IT. IS. PRECIOUS. However, I am a light sleeper so once I'm woken up, I'm up. I'm also a person who must eat as soon as I wake up so my body doesn't care if it's 4:00 or 7:00. If I'm awake, I'm hungry. If I were just the wife of a hunter I would try to pretend I don't hear the pocket door to our bathroom close. Or that I'm not really hearing Chris go through his shirts in his closet. Or drop the toothpaste. Or flush the toilet. Or get some socks out of his drawer. Then he would attempt (albeit unsuccessfully) to leave quietly, and I would try with all my might to go back to sleep. And maybe, just maybe I could eventually fall back asleep catching another 30 minutes or so before the boys start the day.

But I'm not just the wife. I'm also the mother of a little up-and-comer hunter (or two or three) who really hopes to bag his first deer this morning. The mother who last night was too tired to lay out his hunting clothes so now am the mother who is WIDE AWAKE at what is now 4 something a.m. because I had to make sure Chris dressed him warm enough. And he did. But my OCD, anal retentive self just HAD to get up and check. Hence, I sit here in front of the computer at 4 a.m. Eating breakfast.  :)

Here's hoping any of this is coherent.

I kid but I'm actually quite excited for my little Professor. I really hope he has the chance to shoot, even if it's just a doe. I guess if you don't hunt you wouldn't quite get it, but to know he may experience that feeling that comes with killing a deer makes me very happy for him. I can't imagine how Chris will feel. My dad says he would get just as excited (if not more so) when Rachel or I killed a deer than when he did. And if it doesn't happen today, that's fine too. He'll just have to keep on keeping on. It's the beginning of the season so he has plenty of time.

While we're talking about the Professor, I wanted to post something he said the other day so I won't forget it.

The boys make everything a competition. Everything is about who can do it better or faster. They even go so far as to take it to the bath. Every night the race is on to see who will remember to ask me if I can bathe them off first. Or who can get out first.

Really? It's not like I have to jump from bathroom to bathroom. They're all in the same tub. It's like an assembly line. Shampoo, soap, time to get out - 1. 2. 3... Done. It doesn't matter, though. Every night it's an issue. The other night was no exception. All 3 boys wanted to be done and out first. Grant was getting irritated and said, "I just wish you were an octopus so you had 8 arms and could do everything at the same time."

If only.

Happy Saturday! And to my family, Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Tara said...

If only I would have known you were up...my eyes were wide open at 3:05 on the dot and I couldn't for the life of me go back to sleep. I'm the same way you are about getting woken up. If I'm awake, I'm usually up for good. Unless I do happen to go back to sleep after lying there for hours, and then it never fails that I hear little feet running into our room ten minutes later! Ahhh, the joys of motherhood. :)