CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 22, 2009

HAVE BLACKBERRIES... WILL PICK!

Chris had to check out a job the other day, and the customers just so happened to have a garden. Of course he had to get a sneak peek. They were growing some blueberries in theirs, and we decided that's yet another thing we want to add to ours next year; however, that doesn't help THIS year. So we load up the boys and are taking a ride on the Bad Boy Buggy when I make the comment, "Since we can't have blueberries this year, I sure wish we had somewhere to pick blackberries." Chris looks at me with this "are you SERIOUS?" look and points to the edge of the woods lining our drive. He then rides up a little further and points some more. We ride to the other side of the woods lining our property, and he keeps pointing, smiling all along the way. There they are. How is it that we've been here almost two years and I've yet to see them? Hundreds and hundreds of blackberries right here on our property. I'm in blackberry heaven! So then I start thinking (dangerous!) of what dessert we can have for Father's Day that will include these blackberries. I have a recipe for Blueberry/Blackberry Crunch, a good cobbler recipe, but I wanted something different. Leave it to Paula Deen. I made Blackberry Gooey Butter Bars, and I could have made myself sick - almost did. Those replaced the popsicles last night!! :) It's Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake but with blackberries between the two layers. I'm not much of a baker but these are so easy and turned out oh-so-yummy! I got two thumbs up from the husband, and he's the chef around here so he tends to be a little overly critical. My sister, "Martha" (actually her name is Rachel but to me she's "Martha" and to her, I'm "Annie" - secret sister stuff), says Paula Deen's Blueberry Dumplings are delish and easy so I'm going to try those with blackberries.

Duty calls. Post on the rest of the weekend (and hopefully Blackberry Dumplings) coming.

1 comment:

Ford Family said...

I am really going to have to make a trip to the Norton's...looks like I will be in "pickin" heaven with all that is growing at your house!! :) Watch out for snakes!! Can't wait to hear the other recipe!! Post the ooeey gooey bars when you get a chance!!! love ya!!