CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 27, 2011

EVERYBODY CUT FOOTLOOSE

Rachel's dance recital was last weekend. It's always such a treat for me. This was the 5th anniversary of The Dance Studio, and the past four years I've gotten to sit front and center in the audience doing absolutely nothing but enjoying a performance put on by my sister and her students. Her studio has grown with each passing year, and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. Her recitals have always received rave reviews (not just from me) and this year was no different. The dances were great, the costumes were incredible, and everyone (even the babies) knew what they were doing and where to go. While it should always be that way in a dance recital, it isn't. Do you have any idea how hard it is to teach a choreographed dance to 3-year-olds? It's not an easy task. Not everyone has what it takes. Martha does. While it doesn't surprise me that it goes so well every single year, I'm nonetheless amazed as I sit and watch a production consisting of an opening number, 30+ dances, and a finale each with a different costume, music and choreography. And it's done solely by her (with a few helping hands of course - one in particular who she jokes is her right hand, left hand, and half her brain). :)

This year was a bit different, though, in that Dawn and I didn't get to sit in the audience the entire time. Part of the time we were on stage ourselves. Yes. You read it right. Somehow Rachel, Dawn and I decided it would be fun to dance together in celebration of five years of The Dance Studio. We did a little tap number to Footloose. I hope we all enjoyed ourselves because that's probably the last time that will happen for this gal. It was fun. Really fun - seeing my mom and dad in the audience grinning like cheshire cats as they watched their girls, my dad whistling and cheering us on. :) It definitely took me back to my dancing days. I miss it. BUT... the nerves. Oh my twisted stomach the NERVES. When I was standing on the side of the stage getting ready to go on I didn't know if I needed to turn around and run, or if I should go pee, or if I needed a barf bag, or maybe a Jagerbomb? And let's not even mention that after having birthed four children (because you know how children rob you of brain cells) I suffer from a lack of brain capacity to actually remember what step comes next. There's a reason I stopped doing this, oh, over 15 years ago.

I kid. I think we all three enjoyed ourselves, and I'm sure when Rachel gets the DVD we'll have even more fun playing it back.

A few of my favorite snapshots:
Opening the show
She's not smiling in this one but it's no shocker that Claire loves a stage :)


I couldn't get Grace to smile to save my life... until this dance. Obviously her favorite.
B with Mayree who entertained us with a great solo

We 3 - Footloose and Fancy Free :)
Rachel has an adult class in which she also dances herself. My mom and my aunt took part as well. It's always a fun dance to great music and is quite entertaining. 


My aunt, Sandra, has participated in the adult class for 3 years now. This is her receiving her 3-year trophy. :)
My Umby was so sweet and said, "You looked like a natural up there," but she's sweet like that. I'm sure she really just wanted to crawl under the auditorium. haha! 
 
Me and my loves
 
 
 
 
Thanks for letting us be a part of your big day, Martha. I'm so proud of you and love you so very much!

Yesterday was the last day of school for the boys, so today officially begins our summer.  A summer of days filled with bare feet, sun, swimming and popsicles (and I'm sure a few bare bottoms at times - ha!), extra time with my baby girl, evenings filled with garden and blackberry picking, grilling out and more swimming, and weekends filled with camping and boating at the lake. And maybe, just maybe, we can throw a family vacation in there somewhere since we didn't take one last year.

And, if I'm being honest...  school being out means the boys will be around each other 24/7. This time of year is also Chris' busiest time of the year (for which we are thankful!) which means this momma/referee will have very few foreseeable breaks in the future which equates to some of those evenings consisting of the consumption of an adult beverage or two on the part of said momma/referee. :)

Happy Summer!!
  
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
James 1:17

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm lookin forward to a 'mater pickin, corn shuckin', and adult beverage drinkin' visit.:)

Ford Family said...

Wow, those are some beautiful pictures of you!!! I wish I could have been there to see yall! Let's plan our next play date! xoxo!

The Sewell Family said...

What a special night!! Love it!