CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Take Two: Ear Tubes

Mac had ear tubes placed three years ago. They worked wonders. The tubes grew out at some point this past summer, and he almost immediately began having problems again. After quite a few nasty ear infections (you know they're bad when the doctor looks in his ear and says, "Wow. Ew. That's a nasty one," I knew a visit with his ENT was in order. His ENT confirmed what I already suspected - that he was keeping fluid behind his ears, there was negative pressure, and he was suffering from some hearing loss. Dr. Cawthon suggested placing another set of tubes, especially since swimming season is almost upon us. I definitely wasn't against it since the first set proved to be advantageous.

Mac is a trooper and has a tolerance for pain like I've never seen before, but he has been very ready to have this done and for his ears to feel good again. However, his first surgery also included a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. The tonsillectomy was pure hell. The pain medicine burned his throat. It was very hard to get him to take it. Since he hurt so bad he didn't want to drink much less eat. He quickly became dehydrated which resulted in a day in the ER for IV fluids. Not fun. He automatically associated tubes with that experience. We assured him this go around would be nothing like that. Thankfully we were able to schedule the surgery quickly so he didn't have too long to worry.

Today was the day. I'm happy to report he made it through with flying colors. His surgery was the first case, so we were in and out of there and headed home by 9:15 a.m. After a stop by McDonald's for hashbrowns and finally being able to drink his morning coffee, he's good to go. He's supposed to take it easy the rest of the day. That may be the toughest part of all. ;)

Of course I had to take some pictures.
First getting into a room - a bit anxious
Nerves turned into a bit of irritability...
I just want my coffee!!
Seriously??? You have to take a picture of me in this dress gown?
Daddy, it's not really a dress. It a gown. And I have to wear it. :)
Sweet loves
After a dose of some medicine to take the edge off.
What nerves? I'm great! haha
And in case you can't tell Chris loves pictures. ;)
Chris doesn't share in my desire to document every.single.detail (plus everything went rather fast), so there isn't a picture of Mac sitting in my lap on the bed as we're being wheeled down to the holding room. But let me tell you, it was fun. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat the entire way. He thought that was pretty cool.

I know this surgery is very simple and routine. It is not, however, routine for us. Naturally any time your child is put under anesthesia it brings about some concern. Many thanks to everyone who prayed for us. All the prayers were deeply felt.

My patient is requesting some Skittles (thanks to a Costco-size bag from Meems). Skittles it is. :)

2 comments:

Ford Family said...

glad your patient is doing well!!! :)

Angie said...

I am so glad he is doing well! He and Wiley have a lot in common--Wiley LOVES coffee and has been making my Mom coffee since 2. I bet tonsils out and adnoids was HELL in a hand basket..I could not even imagine. Poor guy, I bet he was a nervous wreck this morning!! I know he was thankful it was just tubes, but anytime being "under" is enough to send a momma over the edge.

Love the picture where Chris and Mac are looking at eachother, sweet enough!!

love you--set up our date..I am available...since my baby boy isn't getting to play BB this summer :( His 4th year to play at that...I have cried for 4 days on and off..I will explain but one word...S.E.L.M.A. for ya!